A man has been rescued from the River Irwell after police, fire engines and an air ambulance were scrambled to Radcliffe. Emergency services were called to Dale Street, near to the Lock Keeper pub, in the town centre at around 1.20pm on Saturday (November 11), following concerns for the welfare of a man.

An air ambulance was seen landing nearby at the retail park as the road was closed off for a number of hours. Firefighters were able to rescue the man, who was treated at the scene.

One man working at a shop nearby said he saw the police and ambulance arrive earlier today. “They pulled somebody out of the water,” he said. “We don’t know if it was a man or a woman but they pulled them out of the water.”

READ MORE: 'My headache was so bad I had to pull over in the Peak District... what a stranger did next blew me away'

READ MORE: 'People call me selfish for not wanting children... but I don't want to sacrifice my holidays and lie-ins'

Another woman working in the shop said: “We heard it all this afternoon but we didn’t see them go in. We just heard they got them out.”.

Pictures from the scene showed a large police presence along with two fire engines and paramedics. It is understood that a man has been taken to hospital.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police: “At around 1.20pm on Saturday 11 November 2023, officers were called to reports of a concern for the welfare of a man on Dale Street, Radcliffe. Emergency services attended and located the male, he has been taken to hospital for treatment. Enquiries are ongoing at this stage.”

The air ambulance also attended and landed near a retail park

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “Just before 2pm this afternoon (Saturday 11th November), two fire engines from Bury Central and Whitefield fire station along with the Water Incident Unit from Heywood and Technical Response Unit from Ashton were called to reports of a person in the water near Pilkington Way, Radcliffe.

“Crews arrived quickly at the scene. Firefighters used a technical rescue stretcher, long board and rope to move a man from the water’s edge and worked with colleagues from North West Ambulance Service and the Air Ambulance to treat the man at the scene, before he was taken to the hospital. Firefighters were in attendance for around one hour.”